pve kernel: Out of memory: Killed process

Thatoo

Jun 11, 2021
It's been few days I face an issue, a VM crash suddenly and I could not find any reason from within the VM. Then I check systemctl in pve and I could find following logs but I don't understand how it can run out of memory. pve is on a 16 GB RAM and there is only one CT set with 2Gb and this VM set (at first) with 12 GB + ballooning. It was working well until recently. When I first found this issue, I then set the VM to 12 GB (with 8 GB minimum, not 12 GB like before).
Is 12 GB to high? Why it didn't happen earlier? Is it link to ZFS?

pve systemctl Logs : https://paste.yunohost.org/icaliriyor.yaml

ARC is the caché memory used by ZFS (instead of the typical disk buffer of other filesystems). In your case it is configured to use as much as 6G:

Code:
ARC size (current):                                    77.2 %    6.0 GiB
        Target size (adaptive):                        77.7 %    6.0 GiB
        Min size (hard limit):                          6.2 %  495.3 MiB
        Max size (high water):                           16:1    7.7 GiB

You could use as much as 16-6=10GiB for the host and the VM/LXC's, which in practical terms means you have ~8GB for the VMs/LXC. You should either lower the ZFS ARC memory [1], get more RAM or lower the RAM of the VM.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS_on_Linux#sysadmin_zfs_limit_memory_usage

Thank you for your explanation.
I can't get more ram.
I have little less than 1Tb of disk so if I understand well, only 3GB for ARC would be enough, isn't it?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!