pve-kernel build issue

PlumJam

Oct 12, 2024
Hi all,

I'm trying to build the latest (6.8.12-2) kernel, with a view to applying/testing a patch, but I'm struggling to get the kernel to build at all.

I'm following the README instructions, but no matter what I try I get stuck at this error when running make build-dir-fresh -

Code:
cd zfs-linux-2.2.6; dpkg-buildpackage -S -uc -us -d
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source package zfs-linux
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source version 2.2.6-pve1
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source distribution bookworm
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source changed by Proxmox Support Team <support@proxmox.com>
 dpkg-source --before-build .
dpkg-source: warning: diff 'zfs-linux-2.2.6/debian/patches/0001-Check-for-META-and-DCH-consistency-in-autoconf.patch' doesn't contain any patch
 debian/rules clean
make[3]: Entering directory '/root/pve-kernel/proxmox-kernel-6.8.12/modules/tmp/zfs-linux-2.2.6'
dh clean --with autoreconf,python3,sphinxdoc
   debian/rules override_dh_auto_clean
make[4]: Entering directory '/root/pve-kernel/proxmox-kernel-6.8.12/modules/tmp/zfs-linux-2.2.6'
find . -name .gitignore -delete
rm -rf zfs-2.2.6
dh_auto_clean
make[4]: Leaving directory '/root/pve-kernel/proxmox-kernel-6.8.12/modules/tmp/zfs-linux-2.2.6'
   dh_clean
make[3]: Leaving directory '/root/pve-kernel/proxmox-kernel-6.8.12/modules/tmp/zfs-linux-2.2.6'
 dpkg-source -b .
dpkg-source: info: using source format '3.0 (quilt)'
dpkg-source: warning: diff 'zfs-linux-2.2.6/debian/patches/0001-Check-for-META-and-DCH-consistency-in-autoconf.patch' doesn't contain any patch
dpkg-source: info: building zfs-linux using existing ./zfs-linux_2.2.6.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: info: using patch list from debian/patches/series
patch: **** Only garbage was found in the patch input.
dpkg-source: info: the patch has fuzz which is not allowed, or is malformed
dpkg-source: info: if patch '0001-Check-for-META-and-DCH-consistency-in-autoconf.patch' is correctly applied by quilt, use 'quilt refresh' to update it
dpkg-source: info: if the file is present in the unpacked source, make sure it is also present in the orig tarball
dpkg-source: error: LC_ALL=C patch -t -F 0 -N -p1 -u -V never -E -b -B .pc/0001-Check-for-META-and-DCH-consistency-in-autoconf.patch/ --reject-file=- < zfs-linux-2.2.6.orig.TMcvo1/debian/patches/0001-Check-for-META-and-DCH-consistency-in-autoconf.patch subprocess returned exit status 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source -b . subprocess returned exit status 2
make[2]: *** [Makefile:71: zfs-linux_2.2.6-pve1.dsc] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/root/pve-kernel/proxmox-kernel-6.8.12/modules/tmp'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:124: pkg-zfs.prepared] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/root/pve-kernel'
make: *** [Makefile:86: build-dir-fresh] Error 2

I've tried using quilt to rectify the problem as suggested in the error message but to no avail.. Unfortunately I'm not super familiar with what dpkg is doing here, and the comments in the last few commits in the pve-kernel repo suggest that the patches didn't need to be changed for the new version of ZFS, so I'm not really sure what to do from here...

Anyone able to help?

I'm following the README instructions, but no matter what I try I get stuck at this error when running make build-dir-fresh
just tried this with a fresh clone from git://git.proxmox.com/git/pve-kernel.git (https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-kernel.git;a=summary)

it runs through clean and does not error out.
Does this work for you (getting a fresh clone and running `make build-dir-fresh`) - or do you get errors there already?

Huh . That's really odd. Is there anything I need to do that isn't in the readme? There were a couple of dependencies I had to install that weren't included in the devscripts package - from memory it was just dh-python and sphinx-common. I also tried running it in a Proxmox 8 VM in case that made a difference, but got the same error...

That's really odd. Is there anything I need to do that isn't in the readme?
no there shouldn't be anything else that is necessary - as said - the things I did (without running into an error):
* `git clone git://git.proxmox.com/git/pve-kernel.git ; cd pve-kernel; make build-dir-fresh`
If this runs into an error on your machine - please post the complete output of the commands (in code-tags, or attached)

Huh . That's really odd. Is there anything I need to do that isn't in the readme? There were a couple of dependencies I had to install that weren't included in the devscripts package - from memory it was just dh-python and sphinx-common. I also tried running it in a Proxmox 8 VM in case that made a difference, but got the same error...

Do you have debhelper installed?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!