PVE installed RAID10 on 4* SSD - two extra NVMes added - how to use them?

zaphyre

Oct 6, 2020
Hi, I have a new Proxmox 7 server which was installed with 4 SSDs on an HBA as ZFS RAID10. under "Disks" -> "ZFS" there is "rpool" correctly showing the storage. So far so good. There is now a Storage called "local-zfs".

Had two extra NVMe disks which where wiped and added as ZFS "mirror" trough the PVE gui. This is called "nvmes in "Disks" -> "ZFS". There is also the "rpool" which was created by the installer...

When I want to add VMs or CTs on that machine I only see "local-zfs" as Storage. Question is, how do I get the two nvmes usable as local storage in PVE?
(This host is now also joined to a cluster - if this matters - the storage was not usable before joining the cluster also)

This is "less /etc/pve/storage.cfg"

Code:
dir: local
        path /var/lib/vz
        content iso,backup,vztmpl

zfspool: local-zfs
        pool rpool/data
        content images,rootdir
        sparse 1

Code:
root@pmx2:~# pvesm zfsscan
nvmes
rpool
rpool/ROOT
rpool/ROOT/pve-1
rpool/data

I feel like I am missing a step here.... Thanks for any help with this.

Well, yeah, adding

Code:
zfspool: local-nvmes-zfs
        pool nvmes
        content rootdir,images
        nodes pmx2
        sparse 1

to "/etc/pve/storage.cfg" made the storage appear. Is this all? Was a bit confused, misunderstood concepts of ZFS and GUI storage creation a bit.

To finally close this topic - is this correct to manually add this to "/etc/pve/storage.cfg" when creating the storage from the gui? Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!