[SOLVED] PVE host and PVE guest on ZFS, rpool fails to import

CaptainLegot

Sep 10, 2023
Hi, I have a Proxmox host installed on ZFS, with the default pool name 'rpool'.
Recently I installed an NVME drive, passed that through to a VM, and installed Proxmox on that VM directly to that passed through drive, also with the default pool name 'rpool'

So the issue might be obvious, but what is happening is when I reboot the host initramfs tries to import 'rpool' and finds more than one matching pool and drops me into the BusyBox shell, where I can successfully import using the pool ID of the correct pool.

Boot Error
1697753206574.png

Output of zpool import
1697753312205.png

Output of zpool import 9570938744399426821
1697753429267.png

on exit the system successfully boots onto the correct pool.

Once the system boots into PVE the PCI drive is passed through to the VM, and it is not available to the host system. Everything works as expected on both the PVE host and Guest once the host 'rpool' is manually imported.

The problem is obviously that the two zpools carry the same name 'rpool', but I don't believe there is a straightforward way to change that on the host or the guest, since Proxmox depends on that name for several functions.

I see that initramfs is using the command:
Code:
/sbin/zpool import -N 'rpool'

How would I configure it to use the command:
Code:
/sbin/zpool import -N 9570938744399426821

Is this even an appropriate solution?

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!