PVE Firewalls and SIP

arubenstein

Jul 17, 2023
I am having a very strange problem with firewalling a VM, which is a virtual PBX. I've spent a bit of time troubleshooting this and I simply cannot figure out what is happening. I consider myself pretty well-versed in PVE and FW, literally hundreds of VMs across a few clusters, many with complex firewall setups that work just fine. I've made this issue as basic as I can. This is a Linux VM with a VirtIO network card.

If the "Firewall" checkbox is NOT ticked on the network card, everything works fine. Calls in and out all day, no problems. Everything just works. When I tick that box, I immediately have issues sending SIP calls out from the VM to our provider. I've tried:

- Under Options, setting "Firewall" to "NO"
- Under Options, setting "Input Policy" and "Output Policy" to ACCEPT
- Adding rules with "out" and "in" set to "ACCEPT" (all IP)
- Adding rules with "out" and "in" and "Protocol UDP" to ACCEPT (all UDP)

Inbound calls from the SIP provider to the VM work fine, two-way audio is fine as well. It's just outbound calls that are of issue.

I am at a loss. any thoughts?

Code:
:tap150i0-IN - [0:0]
:tap150i0-OUT - [0:0]
-A PVEFW-FWBR-IN -m physdev --physdev-out tap150i0 --physdev-is-bridged -j tap150i0-IN
-A PVEFW-FWBR-OUT -m physdev --physdev-in tap150i0 --physdev-is-bridged -j tap150i0-OUT
-A tap150i0-IN -p udp -m udp --sport 67 --dport 68 -j ACCEPT
-A tap150i0-IN -j ACCEPT
-A tap150i0-IN -m comment --comment "PVESIG:OFdXzqXcwmyj0szvDL/e5fRT+nI"
-A tap150i0-OUT -p udp -m udp --sport 68 --dport 67 -g PVEFW-SET-ACCEPT-MARK
-A tap150i0-OUT -m mac ! --mac-source 4e:62:60:5f:93:de -j DROP
-A tap150i0-OUT -j MARK --set-xmark 0x0/0x80000000
-A tap150i0-OUT -m limit --limit 1/sec -j NFLOG --nflog-prefix ":150:1:tap150i0-OUT: ACCEPT: "
-A tap150i0-OUT -g PVEFW-SET-ACCEPT-MARK
-A tap150i0-OUT -g PVEFW-SET-ACCEPT-MARK
-A tap150i0-OUT -m comment --comment "PVESIG:DIY5MgeZA0+FJEjKMorU7Qunr1Q"

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!