pve-firewall REJECT rule from other VM prevents connection on first try

elelayan

Sep 30, 2024
Hi,

on a PVE 7.4 cluster, with vmbr0 (vlan aware, stp off), connected to bond0 (2 physical interfaces), with firewall enabled at the cluster level, I have an issue when first opening connections.

a VM protected (100) has a firewall policy in REJECT (so that connection errors are explicit)
a VM client (159) on the same host has no firewall enabled and tries to reach server (a service outside the cluster)

Here is what happens:

1. after some inactivity, when the connection from client to server is attempted the client gets connection refused.
    Observing with tcpdump -a any, I see the SYN packet to open the connection on client's tap159i0, then on bond0, then on physical interface enp25s0f1np1.
    This is all well and good.
  2. But I also see the SYN packet duplicated on all other interfaces connected to the bridge.
    In particular it is sent to the protected interface fwpr100p0 then fwln100i0.
    The REJECT rule creates a TCP RST packet by the firewall on the protected interface.
  3. The REJECT packet arrives to the client and it severs the connection.
  4. Then the SYN,ACK from the actual server arrives, but it's too late, the connection is closed, so the client emits a RST.
What am I doing wrong?
  • should I never use input policy REJECT on VMs and always specify the destination address if I want a REJECT rule?
  • should I disable MAC learning on bridge vmbr0?
  • is it some bug in a (combination of) version(s) and upgrading will solve it?
Thanks,

You seem to be running into this bug [1]. The (experimental) proxmox-firewall solves this issue (by not allowing REJECT rules in the input chain of VMs). Dropping this traffic is the only solution currently.

[1] https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4964

Ok, thank you @shanreich for the prompt and sourced reply.

This really got me stumped for a few days...
Is it a corner case or did REJECT not work in general for input policy in VMs?

Is disabling MAC learning on the bridge any help?

Best regards,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!