PVE 6: proxmox host got cloud-init from a VM?

pukkita

Aug 20, 2019
Hello,

Recently installed a PVE 6.0 cluster with three Supermicro X9DRi-TLN4+.

I tested deploying a VM from ubuntu 18 cloud-init image, following https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cloud-Init_Support

I also (mistakenly, but thought it would be harmless) installed cloud-init on proxmox host itself.

After rebooting proxmox, it seems something got mixed up:

- if you ssh to previous proxmox management ip, credentials work but you end up logged inside the ubuntu cloud-init VM.
- No proxmox GUI listening on 8006
- Server console (X9DRi-TLN4+ IPMI) displays the ubuntu VM prompt (wtf?)

I've removed cloud-init from proxmox host, added cloud-init=disabled to kernel command line and created /etc/cloud/cloud-init.disabled, to no avail.

I'm new to cloud-init, guess proxmox has been mistakenly "cloud-init provisioned"?? Is there any way to undo this apart from reinstalling?

Can attach any relevant logs, a little confused as to which ones however.

You'll have to set the right hostname (/etc/hostname), fix your /etc/hosts file and perhaps also the /etc/network/interfaces file.

Reactions: pukkita
Thanks mira for the quick reply!! You saved me from a reinstall!

Wouldn't have find out in ages. THANKS!

Hello, the same thing happened to me, but I can't figure out how to fix it. Can you help me?

Uninstall cloud-init first: apt purge cloud-init
Then set your hostname again in /etc/hostname to the correct one.
Check your network config in /etc/network/interfaces.
Then set the correct IP and hostname in /etc/hosts. It should look like this:
Code:
<IP> <hostname>.<domain> <hostname>

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!