putting VM/LXC root disks on NAS

proxwolfe

Jun 20, 2020
Hi,

I understand that I can have a VM's root disk on a NAS but not an LXC's.

Why is that, is that absolute or might there be a way to also put an LXC's root disk on a NAS after all and, if not, are there plans to make this possible in the future?

I run everything I can in an LXC and only those guests that don't like that in a VM. So putting the VMs' root disks on a NAS but not the LXCs' doesn't help me. It's all or nothing.

Thanks

why should you not be able to put an lxc rootfs on a nas? you can put container volumes on any storage that supports the content type 'rootdir', check the docs which storage types support that

Sorry, I wasn’t clear: I have put an lxc‘s root disk on my NAS. So, you are right that I „can“.

The container just doesn‘t start. So being able to do it, is of limited use…

When trying to resolve the issue, I came across some other forum posts with similar starting problems where they were told that you can only have a VM‘s root disk on a NAS but not an lxc‘s. (I can later google that issue again to find the threads.)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!