PRTG SSH sensor and PVE logs

Schwarze Wellen

May 16, 2024
I use PRTG for monitoring my server infrastructure and recently I set up an SSH sensor to monitor the load averages of my PVE 8 node (latest non-subscription packages).

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/ssh_load_average_sensor

Despite this working great, I noticed that this absolutely spams my node logs with the SSH connection and disconnection constantly happening due to the way the sensor operates. I saw this by chance when I was in the GUI and clicked on the logs section.

Is this something I should be concerned with? My worry is that this may eventually lead to my node's disk filling up with logs.

Hi!
Almost all the logging on a Proxmox VE instance is done via journald, as are the logs generate by SSH. Journald comes with a few mechanisms to prevent it from filling up the file system. By default, it will limit itself to 4GB or 10% of your file system, whichever is smaller, and not grow above that.
If you would like to change those defaults, you can edit /etc/systemd/journald.conf and set the SystemMaxUse value.
More info is available in the man pages, just execute man journald.conf in your systems shell.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!