Proxmox & Z Series IBM Servers

severo

May 17, 2024
Hi everyone!

I have a client who has two servers - Z10 and Z12 System IBM, and he asked me if it would be possible to install our systems currently in operation on this infrastructure, replacing the environment he currently has installed - z/OS IBM. We have been users of Promox for a few years, but within conventional Intel server environments.
In a quick read on the internet, I found references to the use of this environment in Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat and Suse.
Given that the proxmox environment operates on Debian, would anyone know if it would work? Would the installation process be the same as normal, or would it require some other format or process?

Thank you and I await your response.

LSevero

Those are, AFAICT full on mainframe systems with their custom CPU architecture and not based on the x86_64 architecture. So unless I am wrong with that, and they are x86 based, you won't be able to use Proxmox VE on them.

Reactions: Kingneutron
Proxmox VE, at least for now, is x86_64 only. So I guess that hardware will be useless in that regard.

Reactions: Kingneutron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!