Proxmox WebUI won't load if connected to it's own pfSense VM

jasont7

Oct 11, 2024
I recently installed Proxmox, and on the node, I installed a pfSense VM which I am using as a router for my home network.

The pfSense runs and functions fine. All my devices have internet and can communicate with each other. One problem though: the Proxmox WebUI doesn't resolve following a fresh boot.

I assume this has something to do with Proxmox's network interface loading before the pfSense VM starts. On pfSense's DHCP table, I can see 'pve' is online, MAC address visible and has a valid IP (which is static), but any attempt to connect to the WebUI in a web browser using the IP:8006 results in a timeout.

To clarify, I have a quad-NIC installed in the PCIe slot of this SFF PC. I have passed through all the ports into the pfSense VM (as per this guide: https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/recipes/virtualize-proxmox-ve.html ). Proxmox's interface is tied to the ethernet port on the SFF PC's motherboard, which is connected directly to the NIC via a short ethernet cable.

I have run this exact setup on Unraid and Ubuntu Server running KVM and it works just fine. With Proxmox, again, I assume it doesn't like booting up without a valid IP, and even when the VM loads, it still refuses to load the WebUI.

I logged in directly on the hardware with a keyboard and monitor, tried reloading the interface with ifdown and ifup, tried restarting the pveproxy service, and nothing has worked. Any idea how to fix it so it works more like Unraid/Ubuntu Server?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!