proxmox web page Cant Connect

paulb787

Oct 14, 2014
I have a simple setup and believe i have a nat problem.

...........SERVER..............
1 VM-PFSENSE
2 NICS, 2 bridges

....NIC1... ....................................................................................NIC 2
shared with host bridged and is wan on pfsense LAN

.........................................................................................PC1 connected to NIC2 (Lan on Pfsese)

PC1 which is on the lan side of pfsense cant connect to the proxmox web page. Im not sure if i need a route or why it wont connect. I can connect to the proxmox web page from outside my network just not on the lan side of pfsense?

Thanks

Hello paulb787

...........SERVER..............
1 VM-PFSENSE
2 NICS, 2 bridges

....NIC1... .................................................. ..................................NIC 2
shared with host bridged and is wan on pfsense LAN

.................................................. .......................................PC1 connected to NIC2 (Lan on pfsense)

As far as I understood (maybe you can describe your configuration more precise) you connect via NIC1´s (wan) IP to Proxmox web gui and pfsense restricts access from LAN to WAN.

Simplest solution: define a LAN IP address in Proxmox host at NIC2 respectively where it is bridged to. Then you can connect from LAN to the WEB GUI without passing the firewall.

Of course, you must know what you allow or restrict in your LAN....

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

Hello paulb787

To recap I have a Pfsense vm. Anything connected to pfsenses lan port can not connect to proxmox's web page.

What I undestood from your 1st post (But now I am not sure any more - posting more precisely your need would help):

There are 2 networks: LAN and WAN. VMs are connected with both, WAN has a gateway to internet, LAN is connected with some other PCs (as e.g. PC1) too. Currently from PC1 a connection to Proxmox GUI via LAN is not possible, but it should be.

How would I define a lan ip?

In WEB GUI select your node -> tab "Network" -> vmbr1(respectively the bridge where your LAN NIC is connected to) and specify the IP address (an available one in your LAN).

Temporarily from console (if your access to WEB GUI is not working) if you have e.g. 192.168.100 as your LAN IP

Code:
ifconfig vmbr1 192.168.0.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

to get access via GUI - afterwords continue as described above (in order to have a persistant configuration).

Moreover: Why using pfsense? Proxmox 3.3 provides a comfortable WEB GUI for building firewalls.

Kind regards
Mr.Holmes

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!