Proxmox VLAN

Maher Khalil

Jul 11, 2021
i installed proxmox in server, I have 20 virtual machines in that server with dedicated IP assigned for each VM
I want to assign VLAN for each VM,
do I need to create 20 VLAN on the switch port interface assigned to my server then allocate VLAN number to each VM?

do I need to create 20 VLAN on the switch port interface assigned to my server
For most switches that I know, this is true. You will have to define which VLAN will be assigned to that port as a tagged VLAN.

On the Proxmox VE side, you then have a few options. If you don't have many VMs sharing the same VLAN, the easiest way would be to define the VLAN tag directly in the network settings of the VMs hardware panel.

If you have many VMs using the same VLAN, another usable approach would be to create a new vmbr interface that is using the physical port as bridge port with the dot notation for the VLAN tag. For example: bond0.40 for VLAN 40.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!