Proxmox VE Server Configuration Backup

iprowell

Sep 19, 2021
I've looked around and have not been able to find anything regarding backup of the server configuration. Is there a recommended way to backup the VE server itself (not backups of the VMs running on the VE server)?

Thanks!

There is no real way to import backuped host configs. Best would be to boot from time to time into a tool like clonezilla and do a blocklevel backup of the complete boot/root drive. If something fails you could then boot again into clonezilla and restore the complete drive from a backup.
If you can't shutdown the server and manually boot into clonezilla that often you could also use something like rsync or the proxmox-backup-client to create a backup of the mountpoint "/etc/pve" where all the PVE config files are stored.

They are also working on host backup capabilities for PBS but that isn't ready yet.

Reactions: iprowell
Thanks!

I had done enough poking to understand that I could treat it like a standard Debian host and do backups that way. It is good to know everything is in /etc/pve. I'll do a little poking around in there and see if a simple backup of that folder is enough for my needs. I am mainly looking for backup details like UUIDs of windows VMs so that licenses are not deactivated. I would be okay with some manual setup to recover. The install seemed exceptionally simple and quick.

Thanks again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!