Proxmox VE Node Driver for Rancher

Wiox

May 28, 2020
Hi,

Is there any plans for Proxmox Node Driver for Rancher? It would allow automatic provisioning, upgrading, and managemend of Kubernets nodes without having to go trou the tedious task of doing manual work. It would also incentivize more organisations to move from an expensive solution lite VMware, Nutanix or even cloud of there was a cheaper and reliable platform where we could run our k8s workload on.

Proxmox seems ideal, it already has an API, support for cloud-init and everything that is needed for this to be a reality.

Thoughts? :)

There is/was a docker-machine driver, that worked with Rancher OS. I'm not sure if this still works for Rancher (OS) in any way. Maybe it's still of some use and could be the basis for a native rancher driver.

Thanks for the reply!
Yes, that exists for Rancher1/RancherOS, and it worked ok! It does not really work well with Rancher 2.x sadly.
If I knew how to develop, I would do it myself, but hopefully the proxmox team realize the potential and market opportunity here and starts to maintain their own :)

I have never worked with any Rancher version, so I cannot say. If it's such a big deal, I suppose there'll be others working on it right now?

Thanks for the reply!
Yes, that exists for Rancher1/RancherOS, and it worked ok! It does not really work well with Rancher 2.x sadly.
If I knew how to develop, I would do it myself, but hopefully the proxmox team realize the potential and market opportunity here and starts to maintain their own :)
Please note that Rancher had been deprecated and no longer is been developed.

Please note that Rancher had been deprecated and no longer is been developed.

You are referring to Rancher 1.
Rancher 2 is being actively developed, maintained and fully supports providers like Vmware, AWS, Nutanix, and more,

Rancher 2 is being actively developed, maintained and fully supports providers like Vmware, AWS, Nutanix, and more,
Thanks for sharing...had look here: https://rancher.com/docs/os/v1.x/en/overview/ and saw: Note that RancherOS 1.x is currently in a maintain-only-as-essential mode, and it is no longer being actively maintained at a code level other than addressing critical or security fixes.
Didn't know there was a Rancher 2...

Thanks for sharing...had look here: https://rancher.com/docs/os/v1.x/en/overview/ and saw: Note that RancherOS 1.x is currently in a maintain-only-as-essential mode, and it is no longer being actively maintained at a code level other than addressing critical or security fixes.
Didn't know there was a Rancher 2...
The RancherOS was re-named in July 2022 and is now known as Elemental. It's evolved and is based on SLE Micro (current version is 5.5) -> into SLEMicro-Rancher. SLE Micro = Suse Linux Enterprise Micro. --> And yes it's free, despite it being derived from the paid/enterprise-class SLE Micro.

Suse has other Hypervisor options in addition to Elemental / SLE Micro / openSuse MicroOS. Of course the full SLES (newest is 15 SP5) / openSuse Leap 15.4 or 15.5 can be used. --> Combine those with the GUI virt-manager (Virtual Machine Manager) for a simple environment.

Need more scale and granular control? -> Control KVM / Xen hosts & many different linux OS's & OSS packages via Suse Manager: https://documentation.suse.com/suma/4.3/en/suse-manager/client-configuration/virt-xenkvm.html
Look at the types of Linux OS's Suse Manager supports, and yes, Debian is included.

--> or the Open-Source upstream of Suse Manager, https://www.uyuni-project.org/
--> Since Proxmox uses KVM, it can be controlled as a Virtualization Host by/via Suse Manager/Uyuni.

Suse Rancher also has an HCI option that runs VMs & containers side-by-side, that can be controlled from Rancher called Harvester. -> Control Harvester via Rancher. The resource/hardware requirements for Harvester are higher vs SLE Micro/Elemental though. Harvester is also built on top of Elemental/SLE Micro.

P.S. If anyone wants to contribute to Rancher including the UI to connect to Proxmox UI, there is a new Rancher UI Extentions Framework available as of April 2023.
P. P.S. If anyone wants to run SLE Micro in production, SLE Micro is included as a part of a purchase of SLES for Unlimited VMs (licensed per 2-physical processors (not by core). A Rancher Prime support contract also includes some support for Elemental and some other integrations.

Last edited:
Thank you for this! I have searched so much and my usually good search-fu did not show this.
The only thing that this is missing seems to be RKE2 support, but that is not a deal breaker
The idea of the driver was to just use cloud init templates and RKE1. It should work on modern Rancher (I personally have it running in Rancher 2.7).

1712334141392.png

RK2/k3s is not docker based so a lot of the driver needs to be rewritten (I want to do it but have not found the time for it yet)

Last edited:
Reactions: ams0
Hi all
I added the driver to Rancher, but when I try to add a Node Template I have Error (502): Bad Gateway.
(the error is the same with every kind of IP I put in Host Name field)

From the Rancher container I see those logs:
http: proxy error: tls: failed to verify certificate: x509: certificate signed by unknown authority

In the Rancher load balancer (nginx) I added:
proxy_ssl_verify off;

but without success...

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!