Proxmox VE install fails

craignan1

Aug 7, 2024
Trying to install the latest version of Proxmox VE onto an Intel NUC 11PAHi7 and only get so far and the screen goes blank. Tried to install 7.4.1 and it seems to install, but networking seems to not be working. Would like to figure out why I can't install the latest version. Link is to a small video of what I see. Any ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/PxnjTvz

Hi,

have you tried setting the nomodeset parameter? This is a common problem, esp. since it looks like a graphics problem in your case.

Tried to install 7.4.1 and it seems to install, but networking seems to not be working.
Sounds like driver problems, the NUC probably got a Realtek NIC? These drivers are unfortunately a bit unstable sometimes, due to no support from the vendor, but hard to say without any information. But this situation got a lot better with Proxmox VE 8.x / newer kernels.

Reactions: SkyZoThreaD
Hi,

have you tried setting the nomodeset parameter? This is a common problem, esp. since it looks like a graphics problem in your case.

This is coming up on the forum so often, why not make it primary menu item of the installer (e.g. Safe Graphics mode)?

Sounds like driver problems, the NUC probably got a Realtek NIC? These drivers are unfortunately a bit unstable sometimes, due to no support from the vendor, but hard to say without any information. But this situation got a lot better with Proxmox VE 8.x / newer kernels.

The NUC has of course Intel NIC (i225).

The problem is the installation doesn't get that far, even if I try with terminal.

What do you mean? The nomodeset needs to be set before you even start the install ...

On the Proxmox VE bootloader menu, navigate to Install Proxmox VE (Terminal UI) and press e to edit the entry. Using the arrow keys, navigate to the line starting with linux, move the cursor to the end of that line and add the parameter nomodeset, separated by a space from the pre-existing last parameter.
Then press Ctrl-X or F10 to boot the configuration.
Source: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#nomodeset_kernel_param

Last edited:
Just that, the same issue when I click on a normal install. Screen goes black shortly after clicking on install terminal UI. RamDisk starts, goes blank for a second, starts to load and then black screen (monitor goes into sleep mode).

Just that, the same issue when I click on a normal install. Screen goes black shortly after clicking on install terminal UI. RamDisk starts, goes blank for a second, starts to load and then black screen (monitor goes into sleep mode).

Are you adding the nomodeset parameter (by pressing "e") rather than "clicking" it as described above?

Sorry, yes I was clicking on E, adding the nomodeset at the end of the linux line. After the third attempt, it did let me do an install (clicked ctrl-x, not F10) but now after the initial reboot, Proxmox will not start. I'm done with this. Wasted four days on this and won't be using Proxmox.

Sorry, yes I was clicking on E, adding the nomodeset at the end of the linux line. After the third attempt, it did let me do an install (clicked ctrl-x, not F10) but now after the initial reboot, Proxmox will not start. I'm done with this. Wasted four days on this and won't be using Proxmox.

The issue is (most likely) that after the install, you (unfortunately) have to also boot the installed PVE with nomodeset (manually). This can be then fixed further by blacklisting bad drivers and getting correct ones or - if you do not care - setting the nomodeset as permanent.

NB I also think PVE has horrible support for this scenario and frankly do not understand why, it's very simple to accommodate in the installer for this.

Reactions: mkaatman
Installing Debian and then PVE seems to be the quickest way to get past this issue. Are there any differences between the installs if you do it that way? I assume debian has a different default package list than what PVE installs?

It's a bummer this is still going on after all this time.

Installing Debian and then PVE seems to be the quickest way to get past this issue. Are there any differences between the installs if you do it that way?

Debian folks can make an installer (after 30+ years of experience). It takes more than technical understanding to make the right choices for cetain cases.

I assume debian has a different default package list than what PVE installs?

It's a bummer this is still going on after all this time.

Yes. ;)

Are there any differences between the installs if you do it that way? I assume debian has a different default package list than what PVE installs?

Well PVE will add what it needs, you can do absolutely minimal install. Some months ago I compared it, I can't find the post now, it was mostly identical. I think it's like going with Debian with "standard system utilities" in tasksel, you get different (Ubuntu-ish) kernel once you add PVE, that's about it. Standard Debian install also prefers DHCP, ...

EDIT: ... there's more options for partitioning during install, no ZFS for system drive (thankfully for me).

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!