Proxmox VE completely freezes after restoring and starting VM from PBS

Hotsticker

Jul 7, 2022
Strange occurrence that I wanted share with the community. I have a new VE server that was set up. Ran the latest updates so it's on the latest version. I restored a backup from PBS that was initially installed on a different VE server with different hardware. The backup has a hardware setting for the CPU with a core count of 16. I restored it onto a new VE server with a max core count of 16, however it wouldn't start up. That obviously makes sense. I updated the hardware to run on 8 cores instead and instead of emulating the CPU type, I specified "host". Immediately after I started the VM, the entire VE server froze and is no longer accessible. The on-screen prompt still shows the login, but if try to type anything in, it doesn't register or allow any data entry. I restarted the machine and the same result happened afterwards. The new VE server is completely hosed. I was able to bring it back online again after reinstalling VE on it. I was able to replicate the problem doing the same steps, restoring the VM from PBS and setting the CPU core count lower and to type "host", and it seems there may be an issue with VE in this particular instance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!