PROXMOX VE and HP DL380 G6 only a black screen

muekno

Dec 15, 2023
I know there are a lot of posts to that issue, here an on then net. I read them all, no really solution found
my DL380 G6 test server, I have two others in production has 8GB of RAM (noot much but OK for test) 128 GB harddisk Raid 1 with spare via the Smart Array Controller.
I had running ESXi 6, Debian 10, 11,12 (text mode) on it without any problems. PROXMOX is based on Debian 11, as I read, so why there are problems.
When I boot from USB Stick with latest stable ver downloaded today, I get the menu, graphical, textmode, ... advanved option.
I tried graphical -> Monitor said wrong frequency
textmode -> some line from trying to boot then black screen
graphical debug -> some text lines then black screen
textmode debug -> some text lines then blackscreen

I can not understand why PROXMOX does not support a profession server

need help/hint

Regards
Rainer

Last edited:
Thanks for quick response
I tried PVE 8.1, i will ty 8.0, but what if there are Updates or Patches. Do I have to stay on 8.0
Can not find 8.0, there are only 8.1 and 7.5 and older versions, will try 7.4

Regards
Rainer

Similar problem, seam there is only graphical install in 7.4
running the normal install comes to not supported frequency
running the debug install comes to black screen forever

by the way, what shall I do with a gui on a linux server, thats normaly configured and mananged via ssh on cli or via a browser interface. My production server are miles away in a data center-

mk

Last edited:
Solved
I got in an other way, first installed Debian bookworm minimal text installation without any problem
the followed installing Proxmox above Debian bookworm, without any problem.
Quite suspect why the ISO installer did not work.

mk

Hi. I have the same issue ( and on same hardware). And i cant install Debian then Proxmox( as muekno did ). any solutions yet?
i have the same issue on a G7 also. for both g6 and g7, after some text my display gets disconnected. i suspect you guys upscale graphics in some point in installation? can we pass some variable or something to stop that?
plus im using proxmox 8.2.1
tnx

Last edited:
Hi, yes the G6 and G7 have that problem, seams PROXMOX does try less graphics than Debian, So till now I did not find another way, this way works and it is not too much more work, and you just have to do this once. I did not find any problems in function.
I have a Fujitsu RX 300 too, about the same age, that works well with the PROXMOX installer.
If you will use ZFS (recommended) make shure you config all drives separte, as ZFS does not like hardware RAID. Attention on G8, that Rasicontroller does not support separte drive, G9 does.

Regards
Rainer

Reactions: ravenactuall

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!