Proxmox-ve: 7.2-1 (running kernel: 5.15.39-4-pve) update started causing VMs and containers to become unresponsive after a few hours.

bparvez

Aug 20, 2022
Hi, noob to proxmox and just using it in my home lab for educational purposes.

After Proxmox update on 22 Sept, 2022, I had all my VMs and containers with a grey ? on them but they were all responding fine when I tried to access them via ssh or web interface. Rebooting the PVE node resolved that issue.

Later last night, two of my VMs became unresponsive while the others were working fine. Shutdown of those VMs would not work so I had to stop them. After stopping the VM, they will not start with error "TASK ERROR: timeout waiting on systemd". I rebooted the node again today morning (23 Sept, 2022) and all VMs came back up and started working as normal.

My concern is if this reboot of the nodes would become a usual need of the system as before the update on 22 Sept, 2022, the server was running fine for 2 months without needing a reboot.

Any suggestions on what I can do to make sure the system is back to being stable?

Thanks.

Hi,
to see if the issue is actually caused by the kernel upgrade, you can try booting an older kernel. Or you might want to test if the issue has been fixed in the 5.19 kernel already.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!