Proxmox two NIC, two bridges, DHCP.

CountryUser14

Aug 23, 2023
Hello forum members/staff!

I'm currently hunting for a weird restart error, but stumbled upon multiple pages on the forums, which would point that my Proxmox network configuration isn't correct at the moment. I'm using an onboard NIC, and a card in my server. Ideally, I would want the card to be used for VM traffic, and the onboard NIC for management. In my setup, I'm in a VLAN, and I have 10.254.40.0/24 assigned to me. Proxmox is assigned to 10.254.40.101. I created vmbr1 manually, and assigned the network card to it. Then, for my VMs I added vmbr1 as the network device. I'm using DHCP to assign addresses to Proxmox, and to my VMs for port forwarding. I copy-pasted my current configuration. Could someone please review the configuration? To my understanding it's correct, but someone might see something different. Thank you!

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface enp3s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet dhcp
#iface vmbr0 inet manual
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
# iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge-ports enp3s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

Last edited:
the configuration seem to be correct, but I am not sure for the configuration in dhcp, can you try with iface vmbr0 inet static? then address 192.168.x.y/24 (or similar)?
vlan are tagged or untagged?

In theory there is no difference but in fact the DHCP is a systme server that can have problemes. So to try with a static address is only a metod to exclude DHCP problems. Please tell us exatly what is non working.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!