Proxmox/TrueNAS 3 servers - cluster configuration question

andy.linton

Jul 4, 2024
Hi, this is my first time posting, but I have appreciated this forum a lot.

I'm setting up a production environment in my remote West African hospital. The plan is to run various applications with a combination of virtual machines and containers. I am already using Proxmox on a single node, running on some old hardware we had, but will upgrade soon to 2x Dell R640 and 1x R730xd. The plan is to use the R640s to host the VMs, with VM drives on local SSD storage. I'm planning to use the R730xd for storage with TrueNAS (file shares, VM backups, etc).

I would like to set up a cluster so that I can manage the VMs from a single web GUI. I would like to be able to migrate/replicate the VMs from one node to another, but I am not needing full HA or ceph storage.

I've been reading about 2 node clusters, qdevice for quorum, getting TrueNAS and Proxmox working well together. I am thinking of 2 options:
1. install TrueNAS on bare metal in the 3rd server, and run qdevice in a VM on TrueNAS to provide quorum to the other 2 nodes running Proxmox
2. run Proxmox clustered on all 3 nodes, removing the requirement for a qdevice, and virtualise TrueNAS on the R730xd, passing through the HBA controller.

What would you suggest?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!