proxmox-tape backup-job run : Error: timeout while trying to lock

Nov 27, 2023
Hi,
# Backup Server 3.1-4
having a TL4000 attached to our PBS, we're running tape backups any other day (using a single drive only).
Some backup-jobs (for dedicaed namespaces) get started by the PBS scheduler itself, some get fired off using "proxmox-tape backup-job run <id>".
Problem is, a PBS scheduler started backup-job seems to patiently wait for an already running backup-job to finish, there will be no timeout (I saw >10h lately).
However, a proxmox-tape console call triggered backup-job does not, it more or less imediately returns with "Error: timeout while trying to lock", if there is an ongoing backup-job active.
What's the difference here? It's all just jobs, only triggered diffently.
There's no info about timeout parameters for the proxmox-tape family of console commands afaics.
How can I have "proxmox-tape backup-job run <id>" wait for an already allocated tape drive / other running backup-job?
Thanks Peter

that behaviour is actually expected. the idea was that while schedule triggered job wait forever, a manually triggered job must be done by hand and then it can be checked if it can be run currently
the 'run now' functionality was not intended to implement a queuing system

what is the use case here?
as a workaround you could set the schedule to a time e.g. a minute from now, wait until it's started and revert the schedule back to it's original value

if there is a valid use case i'd be open to add a parameter to override the timeout from the default on the cli, for that you could open a feature request here: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!