Proxmox suddenly cannot detect ethernet.

IDN

Sep 15, 2021
Hi,
currently I'm using Proxmox VE 6.4 on my old PC. I haven't used this pc for some times, but I certainly remember the last time I used the pc I can connect to it just fine. But now I can't ping to the pc and the pc can't even ping to my gateway which is my router. Below there's some pictures of the current configuration.

Attachments

• IMG_20210914_121009.jpg
    IMG_20210914_121009.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20210914_121126.jpg
    IMG_20210914_121126.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20210914_121141.jpg
    IMG_20210914_121141.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20210914_121158.jpg
    IMG_20210914_121158.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210914_121230.jpg
    IMG_20210914_121230.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 33
Hi,

The configuration does not seem to be the issue, the ip link command shows no device that would be named like a physical ethernet board.

This could be a regression from a kernel update, can you first please screenshot the output of pveversion -v (kernel(s) are listed at the top). After that you could check the kernel log with dmesg for error messages, some more specific errors could potentially help to fix this.

As workaround and confirmation that the kernel-regression theory is correct, you could then try selecting an older kernel on boot and see if you got the ethernet devices showing up again.

Reactions: IDN
Hi,

The configuration does not seem to be the issue, the ip link command shows no device that would be named like a physical ethernet board.

This could be a regression from a kernel update, can you first please screenshot the output of pveversion -v (kernel(s) are listed at the top). After that you could check the kernel log with dmesg for error messages, some more specific errors could potentially help to fix this.

As workaround and confirmation that the kernel-regression theory is correct, you could then try selecting an older kernel on boot and see if you got the ethernet devices showing up again.
Hi,
Thanks for the swift response. I have tried to use both the newest and oldest kernel but it still can't detect my ethernet. My ethernet port only shows a static orange light, it's not blinking at all. I also tried to read and find error messages in dmesg but I couldn't find anything. I tried to use dmesg | grep error, dmesg | grep fault, dmesg | grep eth, and dmesg | grep ethernet but find nothing. Is there anything else I could try?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20210915_131346.jpg
    IMG_20210915_131346.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210915_131415.jpg
    IMG_20210915_131415.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210915_132710.jpg
    IMG_20210915_132710.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 12
Checking lspci was a good idea, and it really shows no ethernet device anywhere.

I have tried to use both the newest and oldest kernel but it still can't detect my ethernet.
hmm, so really does not seem like this would be the result of a kernel regression.
My ethernet port only shows a static orange light, it's not blinking at all
Hmm, could be a hardware failure.

Is there anything else I could try?

IMO it seems like it could be a HW failure, but from the distance that is hard to tell definitively.
I mean from the lscpi output I figure that this is a xeon e3 v2 or v3 CPU, so the platform would be 7 to 9 years old, not a youngster anymore... In that case plugging in another PCI(e) NIC or even a USB NIC (as workaround) could help, either is not really expensive.

Potential things to investigate could be:
Was there anything that was changed between this working and not working, BIOS update or configuration change or anything the like?
Try different ethernet cable or switch, this is a bit unlikely to help here as that would not really explain that it doesn't even show up anywhere on the system though.

Reactions: IDN
Checking lspci was a good idea, and it really shows no ethernet device anywhere.

hmm, so really does not seem like this would be the result of a kernel regression.

Hmm, could be a hardware failure.

IMO it seems like it could be a HW failure, but from the distance that is hard to tell definitively.
I mean from the lscpi output I figure that this is a xeon e3 v2 or v3 CPU, so the platform would be 7 to 9 years old, not a youngster anymore... In that case plugging in another PCI(e) NIC or even a USB NIC (as workaround) could help, either is not really expensive.

Potential things to investigate could be:
Was there anything that was changed between this working and not working, BIOS update or configuration change or anything the like?
Try different ethernet cable or switch, this is a bit unlikely to help here as that would not really explain that it doesn't even show up anywhere on the system though.
I've already tried to connect the ethernet through a switch, using various ethernet cable, and directly to the router but neither seems to work. I didn't touch the BIOS settings at all so that seems unlikely to cause the problem. Maybe it is a HW failure then, I will try to buy a PCIe ethernet card and report back if it fix my problem.

I've another minor problem, when I shutdown PVE why does my pc still turned on. It's not completely turned off. Below is the screenshot when I shutdown my pc.

Thanks so much for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_20210915_133229.jpg
    IMG_20210915_133229.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 10
Just wanted to inform that by adding a new PCIe network card fixed my problem. It seems that the ethernet port on my motherboard is already not functioning.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!