[SOLVED] Proxmox subscription with paravirtualized machines

G0ldmember

Oct 2, 2019
Germany
Hi,

we have a Proxmox Setup as follows:

1 3-node-cluster with 1 physical CPU each node
1 test machine with 2 physical CPU sockets running 3 paravirtualized nodes for testing
1 standalone node with 1 physical CPU socket

So in total, we have 6 CPU sockets.

As the subscription says: "The Proxmox subscription model is based on the number of physical servers and their occupied CPU sockets." we have purchased 6 subscriptions, 1 for each physical CPU socket that we're using.

For the test machine I now have the problem: Where to enter the subscription key? I have 1 physical machine with 2 physical CPUs running Proxmox and on this Proxmox installation, I run 3 VMs as virtual nodes running Proxmox as well. When I use the subscription key on the "master" Proxmox node and try to reuse it for the virtual nodes, I get "invalid server id".

How can I get also the virtual nodes to also use the enterprise repo (so it can be tested 1:1 before anything goes on the live system) - as the licensing is per physical CPU, this should be ok in terms of number of subscriptions that we have bought.

BR

1 3-node-cluster with 1 physical CPU each node
1 test machine with 2 physical CPU sockets running 3 paravirtualized nodes for testing
1 standalone node with 1 physical CPU socket

So in total, we have 6 CPU sockets.
As the subscription says: "The Proxmox subscription model is based on the number of physical servers and their occupied CPU sockets." we have purchased 6 subscriptions, 1 for each physical CPU socket that we're using.

Your: "1 test machine with 2 physical CPU sockets", provided that both sockets are occupied, needs one subscription for two CPUs (and not two subscriptions for one CPU (each)).

In general, for such kind of questions, I would highly recommend to contact the shop team directly:
https://shop.proxmox.com/submitticket.php

Your: "1 test machine with 2 physical CPU sockets", provided that both sockets are occupied, needs one subscription for two CPUs (and not two subscriptions for one CPU (each)).

In general, for such kind of questions, I would highly recommend to contact the shop team directly:
https://shop.proxmox.com/submitticket.php
Hi, that's clear, we have 4x 1-core subscriptions and 1x 2 core. The question was just as we have 1 physical node with 2 physical sockets would we really need to purchase 4x 2-core subscriptions for this (one for the proxmox instance itself and one for each nested test-node which is virtualized)? I assumed the licensing is per physical socket as the subcription info says but this doesn't work as one subscription key can only be used on one machine (nested or not) as it's bound to the server id. I've opened a ticket.

Last edited:
Virtual PVEs are not really included in the subscription.
In the case of virtual PVE, it recognizes the virtual sockets as sockets to be licensed. If you want to have a subscription on the TestVMs, you would also have to book a subscription for the virtual sockets. However, I usually test with the no-subscription repository. The tests in the VMs are not meaningful for your production cluster anyway, because there is completely different hardware behind them.

Virtual PVEs are not really included in the subscription.
In the case of virtual PVE, it recognizes the virtual sockets as sockets to be licensed. If you want to have a subscription on the TestVMs, you would also have to book a subscription for the virtual sockets. However, I usually test with the no-subscription repository. The tests in the VMs are not meaningful for your production cluster anyway, because there is completely different hardware behind them.
Hm okay, then the subscription info is actually wrong, it should not say "per physical CPU socket" but "per CPU socket and per server" and it doesn't matter if it's physical or not.

Normally you do not virtualize a virtualization host.
At most, you do this for testing and you don't usually buy a subscription for testing.

Normally you do not virtualize a virtualization host.
At most, you do this for testing and you don't usually buy a subscription for testing.
Right it's just for testing and we wanted to have the same repo with the same packages so it's reproducible 1:1 on the live environment. But buying 4x a 2 socket subscription just for that test system doesn't make sense for us so we'll fall back to the no-subscription repo for the test-system.

Testing with virtual instances will not help you much.
I have never seen bad patches in the Enterprise Repo, if there were problems, then it was due to special hardware constellations.
But you can't test these in a VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!