Proxmox shutting down at midnight

redsky

Jun 22, 2023
Hi there,

I'm having a sudden issue of proxmox shutting down (crashing?) all containers/lxc at midnight each day.

If I try to restart it will stall on restarting so I have to physically restart the device.

The only way I can fix is to hard restart the server (Intel NUC) with power button. All the containers/lxc then work fine again until next midnight.

1714185654760.png

Example container charts:
1714185718553.png
I see the following from root shell at midnight for journalctl -r, but I don't understand what's triggering the shutdown, I haven't changed anything recently that I can think of to cause this.

I also see the aliases.db error but it doesn't seem like that's the cause as it happens all the time?

1714185805119.png

If I look at my /etc/crontab I see the following (which I haven't changed - see below).

##########################################################

Code:
# /etc/crontab: system-wide crontab
# Unlike any other crontab you don't have to run the `crontab'
# command to install the new version when you edit this file
# and files in /etc/cron.d. These files also have username fields,
# that none of the other crontabs do.

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

# Example of job definition:
# .---------------- minute (0 - 59)
# |  .------------- hour (0 - 23)
# |  |  .---------- day of month (1 - 31)
# |  |  |  .------- month (1 - 12) OR jan,feb,mar,apr ...
# |  |  |  |  .---- day of week (0 - 6) (Sunday=0 or 7) OR sun,mon,tue,wed,thu,fri,sat
# |  |  |  |  |
# *  *  *  *  * user-name command to be executed
17 *    * * *   root    cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly
25 6    * * *   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily )
47 6    * * 7   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.weekly )
52 6    1 * *   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.monthly )

##########################################################

/etc/cron.d/poweroff is not created.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
You can
  • ...view the last written log entries from the previous boot via journalctl -b -1 -e . (See "man journald" for an explanation.)
  • ...see which jobs are started by a "timer" via systemctl list-timers
  • ...view "<node> --> Task History" for failed tasks (in the Web Gui)
  • ...install an external logger and/or monitoring system - but this is a really advanced topic...
And I would really avoid to run docker directly on the node. This is not supported officially and may lead to several "strange" errors. (Use a VM for this.)

Thanks - I don't think I actually use the docker container, but thanks for the tip.

It was one of the 2 timers causing it, but not sure why it was causing a shutdown. Disabling them has resolved the issue.

logrotate.timer
man-db.timer

It appears (from posted images) that your LXC in fact crashes at Midday - not Midnight as you suggest & the provided logs.
I therefore suspect somethings up with your time/date/zone/configs on your PVE/LXC. So when midnight comes & day changes - you get a crash(s) due to inconsistency.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!