[SOLVED] Proxmox shared drive between containers

toma3757

Jan 23, 2020
Hi!
I'm totally new in proxmox configuration.
Yesterday, i installed the newest proxmox to my home server. The main disk is a 256gb sdd. I have another disk for store media content.
I installed two container, one for plex and one for torrent(deluge), both are debians.

I would like to have access to the media disk from both container.

How should I do that? I have read a lot of threads about this problem but I don't know the correct solution.

I think I have two options at least.
Option 1:
Follow this article Add New phisycal Hard drive.. But my problem is that I have to define a disk size which i would like to mount to my container but I want to see the full drive from both containers. So I don't know how to do it.
Option 2:
Mount the media disk(/dev/sdb1) to the host, then mount it to the containers. In this case I had permission problems which i don't know how to solve.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
Hi,

If for you "to see full drive" it means ReadOnly access, then you could use sshfs from both CT. If you want read-write from both CT on the same media you will need to make some kind of file-server, like nfs.

Good luck / Bafta.

Thanks, but how to do it? With the second option? How can I solve the permission problems?

Hi,

If for you "to see full drive" it means ReadOnly access, then you could use sshfs from both CT. If you want read-write from both CT on the same media you will need to make some kind of file-server, like nfs.

Good luck / Bafta.
Thank! I have read this option in other thread, but only when someone used vms not containers. How shold I do it? At the host, share the disk, then connect it from the containers?

You can do it even with CT.

Yes. You could do it like this.
Thanks for the answer.
So that means, I can share a disk with more than one containers without any problem.
But my question is how can I do this,which method is the correct, the second?

EDIT:
I think I solved this issue, with Option2 from my first post, here is the answer for the permission problem - if anybody need it later
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/co...mount_host_folder_in_an_unprivileged/dkncmrc/
(id_map changed to idmap)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!