Proxmox server, an LXC, and 2 VM's.. subnet change strategy?

the block

Jan 20, 2024
I am subnetting my network and getting off 192.168.1.x, moving everything to various subnets within 10.86.X.X. One of the last things I need to move is my Proxmox server (192.168.1.40), which runs a Plex LXC container (192.168.1.41), an Ubuntu-VM (192.168.1.42), and a PBS VM (192.168.1.43).

Is this as simple as logging into PVE, going to Datacenter -> Node -> System -> Network, and changing the vmbr0 Linux Bridge from 192.168.1.40/24 to 10.86.30.20/24? My new PVE IP will be 10.86.30.20.

Then once that is done, logging back into PVE on the new 10.86.30.20 IP, and going to Datacenter -> Node -> Plex-LXC -> Network, and changing that vmbr0 bridge from 192.168.1.41/24 to 10.86.30.21/24?

So forth with the other 2 VM's? I understand once the IP's are changed I'll obviously need to go into everything and re-point any services running that may be pointed at old IP's, but I am mostly concerned with risking somehow locking myself out.

Once I change the Proxmox IP will I then have trouble accessing the network services of the LXC & VM's since they are on different subnets? Or will this continue working and being accessible over the network until I manually change them as described above? I'm hoping this will be pretty smooth sailing.

Any comments tips or suggestions for me before I rip off the bandaid? Thanks

Good job. You've discovered network aggregation. Hopefully you've created layer 2 VLANs too. You can do as you say and commit all changes in one go. I've got 25+ years of mostly positive experience doing networking. Normally everything goes fine until you do the equivalent of smacking your thumb instead of the nail with the hammer.

If you can: add then take away:

Use the current IP and add another interface with the new IP address. Connect to the new IP, verify functionality and then dispose of the old stuff.

Do you have a router and layer two VLANs for your new grand plan? You are heading in the right direction and asking for help at this point is absolutely the right thing to do.

Reactions: the block
Good job. You've discovered network aggregation. Hopefully you've created layer 2 VLANs too. You can do as you say and commit all changes in one go. I've got 25+ years of mostly positive experience doing networking. Normally everything goes fine until you do the equivalent of smacking your thumb instead of the nail with the hammer.

If you can: add then take away:

Use the current IP and add another interface with the new IP address. Connect to the new IP, verify functionality and then dispose of the old stuff.

Do you have a router and layer two VLANs for your new grand plan? You are heading in the right direction and asking for help at this point is absolutely the right thing to do.
Thank you! A few years back when I bought this house I decided to buy into the Ubiquiti ecosystem, so I have a Dream Machine Pro, various Unifi switches throughout the house, and Unifi Protect cameras. I started with just a couple VLANs back then, but now I have created 7 to transition to (Core, Camera, Guest, IoT, Server, Users, VPN), and this Proxmox server and VM's are some of the last I have on the original 192.168.1.X subnet, which are being moved off to the Server VLAN. Once everything is moved and working I'll tighten down the firewall rules the way I want. It's been a fun project thus far though.

Sounds like I can probably proceed with my plan. I did have one additional question though. I checked and my Ubuntu VM guest OS is set to static, which was configured within the VM while installing Ubuntu. Should I move that to dynamic, and then let Proxmox control which IP it gets? I'm afraid if I leave it as static, and then change the VM's static IP in proxmox as described in the original post, it's not going to take on the Ubuntu guest OS itself because it's not going to be looking for a new one. Does this make sense? Should I go ahead and make sure all the VM's are set to DHCP and let Proxmox tell each guest OS what IP it should have?

Thanks!

Yay: DNS - "I checked and my Ubuntu VM guest OS is set to static, which was configured within the VM while installing Ubuntu. Should I move that to dynamic, and then let Proxmox control which IP it gets?"

There is an "old" adage in IT - "It's either DNS or NTP". I note old because IT is only a few decades old but everyone gets their knickers in a twist about it. Apparently it's quite important these days 8)

OK - you are getting serious about networking and now you will need to learn about DNS ie running your own (or not - its up to you but you seem to be a contender).

(rereads parent) - You have a Ubi Dream Machine Pro. It has a DNS server built in. You may need to add some DNS entries on it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!