proxmox requires email to set up. how to bypass it

proxydoxy

Jul 6, 2024
When installing proxmox ve there is a requirement for email to notify me of updates. However, I cannot bypass this, I am just testing it and I don't want to get email involved. How do I bypass this. I am going to opensource to avoid all this forced updates and notifications.

You can type whatever e-mail you want during the installation, it's the SENDER email (when PVE sends you a notification of something) - you have to configure the e-mail settings further if you want the notifications to actually work.

Reactions: proxydoxy
You can type whatever e-mail you want during the installation, it's the SENDER email (when PVE sends you a notification of something) - you have to configure the e-mail settings further if you want the notifications to actually work.
This is in fact incorrect (Or at least with the 8.X installer, not sure about other/earlier versions).
The Default sender-address is root@<hostname> (so if your hostname is pve1.somewhere.com, the email will come from root@pve1.somewhere.come)
The root-user's email-address is set to the value set in the installer.
Also by default setting will send all email-notifications to that address, except for updates if you have not entered a subscription-key (so are running non-subscription) or are in a cluster (cluster requires you to re-activate notifications for updates).

When installing proxmox ve there is a requirement for email to notify me of updates. However, I cannot bypass this, I am just testing it and I don't want to get email involved. How do I bypass this. I am going to opensource to avoid all this forced updates and notifications.

If you want to bypass it, just enter something like `no-mail@example.com`. To Prevent issues though, after install, I WOULD suggest to turn off mailing all-together, for that go to the datacenter -> Notifications (all the way at the bottom) -> Disable either the default notification Matcher or default notification Target, either will do the trick (and by disabling you can at a later stage look into setting things up again).

---

(For those wondering "What kind of issues": Sending emails from domains you're not authorised to could get the sending IP blacklisted for email-providers, which in turn could cause issues if legit email is (attempted to) be send from the same IP, with mails being blocked / quarantined / send to spam)

Last edited:
Shorter answer: The email you type is where the system (YOUR system, the one that you are installing, not Proxmox, Inc) will send notifications. You can disable such notifications after installation which means that the email you type need not be valid.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!