Proxmox Prividing Unneeded Config For Private DHCP Network

Tony C

May 28, 2020
Hi all,

I'm new to proxmox (great system BTW :)). I've set this up for my home lab. All seems to be working fine and I have a working private NAT network that I've set up. In line with the instructions online I set up a dedicated container to provide DHCP, but this has also been configured (using dnsmasq) to provide DDNS and point devices on the local network to an NTP server that's also running on that container. The DHCP container is working perfectly and this has been confirmed with nmap.

However when other containers are started on this network, whilst they get the DHCP address and their network is configured correctly, but they get the IP address of the DNS server used by the PVE node, likewise the NTP settings. Ok one can override the DNS in the container's settings, but not the NTP address. Also it's a bit of a faff. VMs are better in that they get the DNS (as this can't be put in by Proxmox) but they still get the external NTP server.

Is there a way on a given network to say don't provide DNS and NTP settings as my DHCP container will provide them?

I'm running the latest 6.2.

MTIA,

Tony.

Last edited:
However when other containers are started on this network, whilst they get the DHCP address and their network is configured correctly, but they get the IP address of the DNS server used by the PVE node, likewise the NTP settings. Ok one can override the DNS in the container's settings, but not the NTP address. Also it's a bit of a faff.
This should help you for container.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pct.html#_guest_operating_system_configuration

VMs are better in that they get the DNS (as this can't be put in by Proxmox) but they still get the external NTP server.
Most OS come with default NTP servers set (some external). This means, either the DHCP doesn't properly provide the NTP server option. Or that something overrides it locally (in the VM).

Reactions: Tony C
Hi Alwin,

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you :). As for NTP the DHCP server is giving the correct details but for some reason it's choosing the parent NTP server on my core network, so it's neither using the default nor what DHCP is giving it. Anyway for that I'll investigate further, as from what you're saying proxmox wouldn't have a part to play in that in this case.

Many thanks for you help, cheers,

Tony.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!