Proxmox pfSense - very slow download on OVH Bare Metal Servers

nevq

Sep 5, 2024
Hey guys.

I have a very strange problem. I have 2 bare metal servers from OVH with an identical configuration (at least that's what they looked like during configuration), but when checked carefully, they differ in the network card.

1. Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller E810-XXC
2. Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM57502 NetXtreme-E 10Gb/25Gb/40Gb/50Gb Ethernet

I have proxmox 8.2.7 and 1 VM pfSense 2.7.2 on each of them.

The problem only concerns the server with card no. 2, the VM with pfSense has a very slow download, about 1% of the upload.
The situation is strange because if these servers were previously in a cluster, pfSense behaved the same way when migrating from one physical server to another.
I tried contacting OVH support but they say that everything is ok on their side and the problem is in the software. But I have 2 identical configurations and on one server there is a problem, on the other there is not.
I have tried everything, I have turned off all accelerations in pfSense.

What is also worth mentioning is that if I put Linux on these servers connected to the same interface, it works correctly on both machines.

I also tried pfsense 2.5, OPNSense and openwrt and they worked incorrectly. It looks like the problem concerns only routers and only on card no. 2.

I would be grateful for any ideas.

I did another test.
I connected the network card on the problematic machine directly to the pfSense VM using PCI mapping. And the internet worked properly, reaching full speed.

Hello,
I've got the same problem.
OVH give me the same reason it's a software problem, but i tried on a Linux VM and i's the same.
Thanks for your workarround.
Regards.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!