Proxmox passthrough nic

ManuelDev

Mar 13, 2022
I have the need to virtualize a pfsense in proxmox.
Pfsense will carry 3 network interfaces wan, lan dmz.
Some guide on how to assign 3 physical interfaces to a VM using nic passthrough. I have no idea how to accomplish this task.

why do you need to do passthrough?
Let me clarify if this server (proxmox) has 4 physical interfaces. eth1 eth2 eth3 eth4.
Eth1 is the NIC through which I manage pfsense, eth2 would be the WAN where my router is connected. eth3 would be the lam where I connect the switch (where the physical machines will connect to the LAN) and eth4 will be the DMZ where the virtual machines exposed to the Internet will connect (port forwarding).

From what I understand, to assign those 3 physical NICs to a VM, I have to do a passthrough, right?

Any way to do it without passthrough?

No, passthrough is not necessary. Just create three or four vmbrX devices each mapped to a different interface, create a VM and assign 3 network devices to the VM, each on a different vmbr interface.

The official guide from netgate is here (although only LAN and WAN are addressed)
https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/recipes/virtualize-proxmox-ve.html
In this way, only the VMs created in proxmox will go through Pfsense, the physical machines will NOT. Where do I connect the switch of the lam???

Any tutorial to passthrough and assign the 3 physical interfaces to the pfsense VM??

Your physical devices will go through pfSense as will your virtual machines as well.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!