[SOLVED] Proxmox OS Drive Failed

Skov

Mar 22, 2021
Basically my OS SSD is failing, and I need to reinstall the OS on a new SSD. All my VM's are on a separate 2tb SSD, just the OS runs on the failing drive.

Basically I am trying to figure out the best method to take to move everything into a new install. Is this just a matter of copying config files over from the old drive to the new install?

Current setup:
500gb SSD Prox OS drive (currently failing slowly)
2tb SSD VM storage
10tb HDD pass through disk

Moving to:
128gb SSD Prox OS Drive
2tb SSD VM storage
10tb HDD pass through disk

I know cloning is an option, but it tends to be a bit of a pain when moving to a smaller drive, If I can do something along the lines of a fresh reinstall on the same version then just SCP the configuration files and everything in to recreate the same setup that would be ideal. If this is possible, I am unsure of what files exactly would need to be copied over.

Any guidance on the best method here is much appreciated.

The network config is stored in /etc/network/interfaces.
Guest configs are located in /etc/pve/qemu-server for VMs and /etc/pve/lxc for containers.
The last big thing you will need is the storage configuration located at /etc/pve/storage.cfg.

If you did make other customizations like kernel modules for PCI passthrough for example, you will have to make them again.

The best approach is probably to copy the whole /etc/pve directory somewhere safe so you can restore the needed configs.

Reactions: Skov
Awesome! Thanks aaron, much appreciated. I test all my work stuff (work in QA for a firewall company) from that server and it had me freaking out a bit, thankfully I was already out this week when it decided to fail so gives me time to fix.

Thanks again!

If it is mission critical, you might want to set up that machine with a mirrored drive.
If you installed the machine with ZFS, you can even add the mirrored drive later. It is basically the steps to replace a failed boot disk from the docs regarding cloning of the partitions and such. The difference is, that you don´t replace the drive but attach it.

So it would be a zpool attach rpool <disk parttion 3> <new disk partition3>

Mentioning the first disk is important, so ZFS knows that you want to attach the new disk to the current one to create a mirror. If you leave that out, it will just attach it to the pool -> you know have a raid 0 like pool....

Nah nothing mission critical and not ZFS. Its just my home server with my torrenting/media share and a valheim game server, that I also use to spin up VM's for work. I moved my firewall to a mini pc to avoid any issues with internet dropping if it dies.

Thanks again!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!