Proxmox Only boots into UEFI interactive shell

rmtx99

Jan 9, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble with my proxmox installation, where I have installed HomeAssistant in an VM.
For Installation of HomeAssistant I used the Install Script by tteck.

My HomeAssistant VM is stuck in UEFI Boot Shell when trying to boot.

I don't know for sure, but probably this is because my LVM Storage ran out of memory during an home assistant update (is this possible?).

What I did so far:
  1. Updated Proxmox to latest Version and also updated Linux Kernel to 6.5
  2. Checked the Secure Boot settings according to various entries here in the forum, e. g. here
    • Sadly, the Secure Boot Option is "disabled" and there is no chance to enable it for me. I'm not sure whether this is supposed to be this way, but this because I also can't edit edit the "Attempt Secure boot" as suggested in various forums.
  3. Tried to boot manually by accessing fs0 and run the bootx64.efi
    • Sadly, the command is unsupported and I am really not aware why or whether this might be the root cause
  4. I ran gdisk in ordner to rewrite partition table as suggested here. Sadly also this was with no luck.
So currently I really don't have any Idea what exactly is causing the problem or whether there is any other solution approach. Every help is really much appreciated!

Best Regards!

Attachments

• Secure Boot Options.jpeg
    Secure Boot Options.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Error in UEFI Shell and efi File unknown.jpeg
    Error in UEFI Shell and efi File unknown.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Rewriting partition table.jpeg
    Rewriting partition table.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 23
  • VM Settings.jpeg
    VM Settings.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: zoechi
Hello rmtx99,

did you find a solution? I am facing the same issue.......

Started after updating Home assistant oparating system to 12.0.
But now also when I make an new install I get the same result. VM hanging in UEFI screen....

Greetings Laurens

Hi @LaurensNL,

sadly I wasn't able to find any solution. I ended up accessing the disk bei a local debian vm and copying my homeAssistant Backup Files (now I have my Backup on external storage...). Afterwards I changed the hard disk of my server because of limited space and reinstalled proxmox and restored HomeAssistant from HomeAssistant Backup Files.

For my case it is possible, that the hard drive had a physical error but I don't know for sure.

Hope you find a solution soon!

Best Regards

Hi everyone,
after converting the virtual disk of a migrated VM from SATA to SCSI, I had a similar problem.
In my case I had to change the boot-order by running following command within EFI shell:

reset -c -fwui

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!