Proxmox on VMWare

trazomtg

Apr 8, 2024
hi,

is it possible to install Proxmox as a VMWare VM ?
how ?i didn't see any doc

regards

Hi,

running PVE on a different virtualization platform is not recommended, as every layer of virtualization will cost performance. It's fine for evaluation, but for productive use, PVE should be run on bare metal.
Proxmox is build on Debian, using an Ubuntu kernel, so you should be able to just install it using the ISO, like you would any other distro. Make sure you enable Hardware Virtualizatio in the expanded CPU section, without it the performance in Proxmox will be very bad or won't work at all.

thanks but.....

i have graphically installed Proxmox in a VM on VMWare. That seems to be OK but when i boot on my Proxmox VM i geet a shell bash .
How can i access to the GUI interface ?
I lauched firefox without sucess but without error message. I just stay on bash screen.

what can i do?
regards

remark : i use VMWare Workstation 17 Player
perhaps it is not possible to install properly Proxmox on Worstation Player 17

Last edited:
thanks but.....

i have graphically installed Proxmox in a VM on VMWare. That seems to be OK but when i boot on my Proxmox VM i geet a shell bash .
How can i access to the GUI interface ?
I lauched firefox without sucess but without error message. I just stay on bash screen.

what can i do?
regards
That's more of a user issue than Proxmox or VMware, you probably are using the NAT adapter for your proxmox, therefore, you would not be able to open the proxmox web interface from the host web browser, you have use a 'Host-Only' adapter and connect the host and the guest to the that adapter, then you have to set the IPs to be in the same subnet, and then, ideally, you would be able to access the proxmox web interface.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!