Proxmox on T330 With Perc H330

Michael S Ortega

Aug 19, 2018
Hello guys, i have a server Dell poweredge T330 with perc H330 Raid controller, playing around with this controller i see its capable of running on HBA mode, id like to use proxmox on it with freenas, i know freenas recommended setup is passing through the whole controller, but want to ask if is good to use the controller on hba mode and present the disk to proxmox just as jbod. what do you guys thinnk, any recommendation will be highly appreciated.

setup (poweredge T330, 24GB RAM, PERC H330)
2ssd enterprise 600gb mirror for proxmox and vms
5x4tb nas drive for nas (freenas) with raidz2

Thanks in advanced. cheers

Last edited:
Hi,

generally, this controller does not have any cache that is good for this use case.
But passthrough single disks to FreeNAS will make problems because then you have the kernel cache between the disks and the FreeNAS.

I would recommend you attach the 2 SSD direct to the motherboard and passthrough the controller to FreeNas.

Hi,

generally, this controller does not have any cache that is good for this use case.
But passthrough single disks to FreeNAS will make problems because then you have the kernel cache between the disks and the FreeNAS.

I would recommend you attach the 2 SSD direct to the motherboard and passthrough the controller to FreeNas.

how would you approach this using the raid controller bios so we dont have to use freenas?

The T330 got 2 SATA port on the Mainboard.

Reducing the overhead and increase the disk speed.
Installing OMV in a VM is also possible and much easier to setup.

Im actually looking for similar advices. I want a NAS for storing VMs and Shared storage (smb/nfs/afp)

i think of 2 scenarios :
- 1 . managing ZFS pools with proxmox and letting promox manage storage for VM and then creating a VM for OMV with a ""virtual disk" and managing shared files from OMV
- 2 . passthrought disks or sata controllers to the VM and letting OMV handling the disks entirely including VM Data disks

i think the issue with 1 is that ZFS will be invisible for OMV so basically i need to format the virtual disk to another file system and thats probably not recommanded .

But that give me direct access to VM data disks without the overhead of file sharing , am i right ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!