Proxmox Nova Driver (Openstack)

cloudguy

Renowned Member
Jan 4, 2012
Hi Everyone. Is there an Openstack Nova driver for Proxmox available? I'm thinking of using Proxmox as a unified HCI backend (KVM + Ceph + backup, etc.) with a multi-tenant Openstack frontend. Should be doable, and I don't see any different functional operation vs. the existing VMware vCenter driver.

Proxmox isnt a storage device.

If you're looking to use proxmox as your ceph management interface that should work fine; you'd just use the ceph rbd facility (https://docs.openstack.org/kilo/con...88.844276323.1608165658-1113255564.1608165658)
Appreciate the reply but Nova is Compue not storage. My question was around if a Nova Driver exists for Proxmox in a similar deployment and use case as Openstack orchestrates VMWare. In the VMware scenario, a VMW Cluster is added to Openstack. OpenStack orchestrates VMs, VMWare Cluster Orchestrates Compute, Storage, Network infrastructure.

Sorry, this might look like I'm digging up an old thread, it is not ;)

The idea here is interesting, and would, if doable, allow proxmox to present an openstack compliant API, which could be awesome… and indeed, as the compute part is kvm-based, it should be "easy" to map the features needed. Same goes for storage, as they obviously have similar feature ranges… Networking is another story, but the flat neutron setup works fine for bridges equivalent of proxmox, and openvswitch could be mapped I guess…

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!