Proxmox not detecting SATA hard drives (Proxmox noob)

cfcman

Sep 6, 2024
I'm running Proxmox 8.2.5 on a B550M Pro-VDH machine. I have connected four internal SATA hard drives to the machine, but Proxmox doesn't seem to be detecting them - i.e. when I try to add hardware to a VM and select SATA, none of the drives are listed in the dropdown. I've also tried selecting IDE, VirtIO and SCSI and they don't show up in any of those cases either.
How can I confirm that the drives are visible to Proxmox, and do I need to do anything before I can pass them through to a VM?

EDIT: I've just noticed that I've had emails from Proxmox with SMART errors on two of the four drives:
Device: /dev/sdb [SAT], 69 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
Device info:
WDC WD40EZRZ-00WN9B0, S/N:WD-WCC4E3ANVZJ4, WWN:5-0014ee-26303bfd7, FW:80.00A80, 4.00 TB

Device: /dev/sdb [SAT], 11 Offline uncorrectable sectors

Device info:
WDC WD40EZRZ-00WN9B0, S/N:WD-WCC4E3ANVZJ4, WWN:5-0014ee-26303bfd7, FW:80.00A80, 4.00 TB

Device: /dev/sdd [SAT], 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Device info:
WDC WD20EURS-63S48Y0, S/N:WD-WCAZAH996825, WWN:5-0014ee-25caeab45, FW:51.0AB51, 2.00 TB

The drives have been lifted from a working ESXi setup, and are formatted as either EXT4 or NTFS.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!