Proxmox NIC and WIFI adapter passthrough to VM not accessable via NIC/LAN

andrema2

Dec 7, 2020
Hi,

I need to use a WIFI adapter on one of my VMs to be able to access an specific equipment.
If I connect the usb wifi adapter, although the NICs are connected as before, I cannot access the server or ping it.
As soon as I remove the adapter and reboot again, everything works.
I think I have to configure Proxmox to not use the WIFI adapter. How can I do it ?

hi,

I think I have to configure Proxmox to not use the WIFI adapter. How can I do it ?
you can check with lspci -nnk to see which kernel module is being loaded for your wifi adapter.
once you know, you can blacklist the module by adding it into /etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf.
afterwards run update-initramfs -k all -u and reboot.

Reactions: andrema2
hi,

you can check with lspci -nnk to see which kernel module is being loaded for your wifi adapter.
once you know, you can blacklist the module by adding it into /etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf.
afterwards run update-initramfs -k all -u and reboot.
Oi Oguz,

To be honest I gave up and went in a different direction to solve my issue. Turns out that the specific WIFI module that I was using doesn't have drivers for linux in general. Some people tried to generate one compiling others drivers. The result is a very poor performance and a really convoluted way to achieve it. Not worth it.

I should have checked the module and support before buy it. It was very cheap so the damage was pretty small.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!