Proxmox LOCKED? Boot Order OF THE COMPUTER THAT RUN PROXMOX

Luca884

Jul 14, 2024
Hello everyone i have a problem with my pc that runs proxmox. i have installed proxmox on an hp pc a few months ago, i never used it or created any virtual machines with it. my current pc is broken and i want to install back windows 10 on this pc. i have tried to use a thumb drive with windows 10 on it but it dosnt work because the UEFI Boot order dosnt want to change to usb hard disk. Can someone help me pls. thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot (84).jpg
    Screenshot (84).jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 7
Proxmox doesn't / can't lock what to both the system with/as, at MOST it will set that it should first boot proxmox.

How old is that Windows 10 USB-Stick and how did you make it? Because if you can't see the USB, and you have tried different USB-Ports and also rebooting the system while it is already plugged in (so not plugging it in after it is already starting up), then it might be that the USB itself is not set up correctly.

The preferred/recommended method is to use the Windows own tool for it [1], which will completely wipe and properly configure the USB-Stick, ready for booting on a system, but you of course need to have a Windows system in the first place to run that.

[1] https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 Click "Download Tool Now"

The USB Stick works because I have already tried It on another PC. The problem could be the port, because I tried to turn on the PC with the USB Stick already plugged in and It still wouldnt work. The only strange thing Is the fact that in BIOS i can't select USB boot Stick. I Will try to use the USB Stick connected to another Port and than update you guys on the results. Thanks to you all.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!