Proxmox LAG setup.....

techie_pro

Oct 6, 2023
Hi
I want to created a Link aggregation group(LAG) setup in DELL EMC server (2x10G eth ports + 4x1G eth ports).

Both the PC must be able to ping 192.168.22.C, physically the node is connected to a switch (plug and play) which is further connected to LAN.
If I remove the eth cable between eth1 and switch the traffic must switch towards the second port and vice versa (still I must be able to ping 192.168.22.C)
Diagram for reference. Can someone help ?

1696586463363.png

LAG is configured as layer2, so 2 nic's of your server should be added as a bond0 and then vmbr0 has to be configured to use bond0 as it's port. You can't have different IP addresses on each nic that you use for the bond.

This is a similar setup:

1696590547873.png

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
      bond-slaves enp6s18 enp6s19
      bond-miimon 100
      bond-mode active-backup

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  10.0.10.10/24
        gateway  10.0.10.254
        bridge-ports bond0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

I suggest that you start using bond mode "active-backup" as it's the easier to begin with.

Reactions: LnxBil
Thanks VictorSTS.
One more query, is there a way to know which ethernet port is active and which is backup on a particular instant of time ?

One more query, is there a way to know which ethernet port is active and which is backup on a particular instant of time ?
The current information is in /proc/net/bonding/bond0. I recommend having an extenal monitoring that does the aquisition of data over time in order to get what you want.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!