Proxmox keeps prioritizing vmbr0 over enp3s0 for default gateway

altjx

Jun 6, 2022
I'm having a tough time really getting into proxmox because of some very weird networking situations here.

The first issue I ran into was just simply trying to get WiFi to actually work. After getting the connection going, installing wpa_supplicant, etc. it just seems like a nightmare. I ran across another reddit post that mentioned the same thing, and then eventually stumbled upon this not being recommended per the wiki. So this is OK.

Now that I've committed to just going ethernet, I can't figure out why enp3s0 isn't pulling a DHCP address automatically. I have to manually run `dhclient` for this to work. I'm using NetworkManager and here's my `/etc/network/interfaces` configuration:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp3s0
iface enp3s0 inet dhcp

auto wlp2s0
iface wlp2s0 inet dhcp

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.250/24
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    bridge-ports enp3s0
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

However, during a reboot it seems like this is being ignored.

Lastly, proxmox keeps prioritizing the default route over vmbr0 instead of enp3s0. So, in order for me to connect to it, I have to physically login and delete the default route via the vmbr0 interface.

My home network resides on 10.x.x.x/24 but I plugged in 192.168.1.250/24 for the "proxmox management environment". I've tried configuring 10.x.x.x/24 for the vmbr0 network, but because it keeps prioritizing the vmbr0 interface over enp3s0, I simply lose network access to the proxmox server because it's trying to get out of an interface other than enp3s0.

Would someone mind chiming in to let me know what I'm doing wrong here? The two questions I specifically have are:
  1. Why isn't enp3s0 automatically picking up DHCP? Is it due to some conflicting networking services or something?
  2. Why does it keep prioritizing vmbr0? Is it because of what I just mentioned in #1?
  3. Is my vmbr0 network interface set up correctly, or does this need to be the same network as my home LAN? 192.168.1.x/24 does not exist anywhere within my local network at all, just simply proxmox, so I suppose this is having an issue.
EDIT: Nevermind. Just reinstalled, selected enp3s0 as management interface, and all seems to be well.

Last edited:
When an interface is bridged in a vmbrX, you can't setup ip address on interface directly (linux kernel refuse it).

ip address need to be setup on vmbrX.

this ip address if for management only, the bridge is working at layer2, so you can have any othe subnets in your vms attached to this bridge.

Reactions: altjx

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!