Proxmox installer dont see the USB RAID LUN that other installers do.

alfonsSF

Apr 2, 2021
Hi.
Fist of all , I am new in proxmox.

I try to install 6.3.1 in a proliant 380 gen10 server.

At this moment my problem is I had to reinstall and aply service pack. For that I had to install a temporary windows.
The unit for the OS is a USB RAID LUN (with SDcards).
The firs time i could intstall proxmox there, with no problems.
But now, proxmox cant't see the unit . Only a /dev/sdf (0MB. SPI Flash LUN) and /dev/sde (0MB. Log File LUN). The unit is not see.

I can install KDENeon, windows, and ESXi. All of them can be installed in the USB RAID LUN. But not proxmox.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks in advanced.

I don't have any experience with that kind of hardware. Did you change some BIOS settings in how they are presented to the system?

I want to give you some advice regarding the SD cards. Don't install PVE on SD cards of USB flash drives. PVE does use the OS disks a lot. For example the logs are written to the root file system. SD cards and USB flash drives usually are not meant for this kind of workload and will fail in a foreseeable time frame.

Well, Servers have those units because, at the begining of the project, the hypervisor was going to be ESXi.

I amb planning to mount all the folders whir are used for the vm in the RAID.
So I can backup the system (no VM material) with the Veeam linux agent with its recovery media iso in a bootable usb.
Do you think is a good Idea?

Otherwise I can install the PVE in a M2 drive (are cheap enought). with the same agent

Normally for ESX! and Truenas it's recommended a Flash usb drive (better if SD raid1).

I amb planning to mount all the folders whir are used for the vm in the RAID.
So I can backup the system (no VM material) with the Veeam linux agent with its recovery media iso in a bootable usb.
Do you think is a good Idea?

Otherwise I can install the PVE in a M2 drive (are cheap enought). with the same agent
Okay, If I understand you correctly, you want to separate the PVE installation itself from the VM storage so that you can make a backup with veeam by booting it from a USB drive so you can back up the system drive?

Also be aware, that depending on what kind of storage you are using (blank FS, network share, LVM, ZFS, ...) the VM disks are not always stored as files [0].

If you plan to do that on the SD cards, then be prepared to do it quite regularly. Depending on the workload the server will write quite a lot of logs and the SD cards will survive maybe a few months.

Make sure to get a datacenter one that can handle many writes. Better even to have 2 to have redundancy.

Normally for ESX! and Truenas it's recommended a Flash usb drive (better if SD raid1).
PVE wants HDDs/SSDs [1].

[0] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_storage
[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_system_requirements

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!