Proxmox installation stuck on "Welcome to GRUB!"

luisgc8

Oct 10, 2024
Hi,
Estoy instalando proxmox en un "IBM System X3550 M4" pero al conectar el USB con el ISO de proxmox 8 cargado y arrancarlo en el servidor se queda una pantalla en negro con el mensaje "Welcome to GRUB!" Lo ha arrancado en UEFI mode y no hay manera de iniciar la instalación.
Alguien sabría decirme como solucionarlo?
Muchas gracias.

Hi,
after install:
apt install proxmox-default-kernel

and reboot, debian not run and say:
Boot failed.

I install it on a usb stick connected to the server.
any idea what might be happening?
Thanks

Hi,
after install:
apt install proxmox-default-kernel

So you are saying you install Debian with installer just fine, reboot into Debian, but then ...

and reboot, debian not run and say:
Boot failed.

... cannot boot.

Do you have a screenshot / picture?

I install it on a usb stick connected to the server.

I do not think this is related, but I have to say this is a very bad idea for Proxmox VE installation, to install it onto USB stick, it will basically destroy your USB stick in short time.

Yes, i attach a screenshot.

Thanks for the recommendation, in the future I will transfer it to the disk so as not to burn the USB

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2024-10-11 a las 9.31.10.png
    Captura de pantalla 2024-10-11 a las 9.31.10.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 2
Yes, i attach a screenshot.

Thanks for the recommendation, in the future I will transfer it to the disk so as not to burn the USB

This almost looks like missing bootloader to me, but I am surprised that you had already booted into Debian to install the kernel.

I will have to check what so special happens after installing proxmox-default-kernel, but will take a while with that.

This was UEFI install? Do you remember when, at the end of the installer, you were asked about where to put GRUB, what choice you took?

I have mounted a live cd and connected in recovery mode and verified that it was deployed in UEFI.
I don't remember the configuration I put in GRUB, which one would be correct? I don't know if I should reinstall it and then take screenshots of the process...
Thanks a lot!

Maybe if

- you make screenshot on the GRUB install one of the last steps where it asks where to put the bootloader;
- and then also capture output of you installing the PVE kernel how it proceeds before you go on to reboot;

could help understand what's happening there. Worst case scenario is that you missing bootloader.

If you are alright with LIVE CD approach, you can also simply try to chroot and reinstall bootloader in the broken install?

The first time I selected a removable USB, now the RAID and it failed, I have selected only one disk and I am trying again

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!