Proxmox installation interfaces get no IP

ocmt58z1

Aug 22, 2024
Hello everyone,

I am currently installing a proxmox system on some new hardware. For reference, I am using the following CPU and Motherboard:
- AMD EPYC 7443P
- Supermicro H12SSL-NT

After the installation, I noticed that I can not connect to my proxmox system. The network interfaces are down for some reason. Here is some information on my network config:

Router is 10.67.96.1
DHCP Server (Part of the Router) is also 10.67.96.1
Static IP assigned to Proxmox during install: 10.67.96.200/24

Here is the output of
Code:
ip a
:
1724353241386.png

For some reason
Code:
ip r
didn't setup any routes - so yea, something went wrong when setting up the network things on boot, I suppose.

I also noticed some errors in dmesg, not sure what to make of them, or if they are related.

1724353448023.png

Why did my proxmox system not setup the interfaces correctly on boot? Why are they all down?
I can probably add the network config manually by handing by setting the interface up and then see if it is reachable - however, I don't understand why this doesn't work out of the box. I never had this problem with any other proxmox system. Any advice?

EDIT: Seems like this might be related: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/broadcom-nics-down-after-pve-8-2-kernel-6-8.146185/
I really hope this is not a problem with the specific hardware/drivers of my NICs....... :/

Last edited:
Why did my proxmox system not setup the interfaces correctly on boot? Why are they all down?
You'd need to post output of cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg so one can correlate that with physical state of your devices ip a
A wild guess - the network cable is not plugged into the right port.

The routes are only setup if the interface is up.

As to the errors - seems like you have, perhaps, a dual Infiniband/Ethernet card and need to switch it's profile from IB to Eth.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

In my case, after removing a PCI card I could no longer connect, because the address of the network card had changed. So in console mode, directly on the server, I run this test and it works every time after reassigning the correct port.

check the configuration by trying to restart the service:
Code:
journalctl -u networking.service -f

Look at the list of ports :
Code:
ip link show

Check the details of a specific interface :
Code:
ethtool -i enp110s0

Once you have located the correct port, check the correspondence in the config file.If necessary, replace it.
Example :

Code:
nano /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp110s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.0.224/24
gateway 192.168.0.250
bridge-ports enp110s0

bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

iface enp114s0 inet manual*

Restart the service
s
Code:
systemctl restart networking

Check whether the port is UP or DOWN:
Code:
ip link show

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!