proxmox install issues

xoticc

Jun 30, 2024
hey guys, fairly new to proxmox, although ive had it installed on a old pc before and it worked fine, ive finally bought my first server and have been trying to get proxmox installed on it for the past week and im about to give up, the servers a dl380 g9, ive created multiple different install usbs none of which have helped, every time i try to install proxmox i seem to get a new error, mostly at the start of install, ive gotten it to install with debug but once i try to reboot it i get an error saying /dev/mapper/pve-root doesnt exist, id really like to use proxmox but at this point im ready to go with something else. ive tried everything that ive found in similar threads and nothing seems to help.

Hi,

ive created multiple different install usbs none of which have helped, every time i try to install proxmox i seem to get a new error, mostly at the start of install
- How did you exactly create these USB flash drives installation mediums?
- What errors did you get exactly?

a dl380 g9,
- What hardware exactly? These come in very, very different configurations ..
- Have you updated the firmware to the latest version available?
- Do you have Smart Array configured? HBA mode? What disks?
- Etc etc.

- What disk configuration did you choose during install?

Hi, ive tried belena etcher, rufus, ventoy, and hpes usb key software, on a 32gb, 64gb, and a 128gb usb drive, aswell as through ilo, the one time i got it to install it gave me a error saying /dev/mapper/pve-root does not exist. server has a single e5-2640 v4 cpu, 96gb of ram, and currently has a 500gb wd ssd. its currently up to date. i previously had proxmox installed on it but the gui was constantly losing connection so i decided to reinstall the os in case of any bugs but now i cannot reinstall it.

has a 500gb wd ssd
Is it configured as Smart Array? Passed through to the OS in HBA? Some other Hardware RAID?

gave me a error saying /dev/mapper/pve-root does not exist
Kind of gears me towards Hardware/"magic" RAID configurations which do not play well.
I guess you used simple ext4 on a single disk during installation?

Also, what error(s) did you get during installation? That would also be very helpful in determining what the actual problem is.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!