Proxmox Host Mechine space Issue

sankarthota

Jul 16, 2024
Hello Dear!!,

I have a Proxmox VE8, and I have Configured Two VMS inside my Host,

and Allocated 1TB for VM1 and 200GB for VM2 virtually,

My Host actual Space is 1TB with LVM Two Disks,

Now My Host Mechine is Filled up and no space left in /var folder where my vm disk file is stored (/var/lib/vz/images/100)

Due to this Host is crashing regularly,

now my Question is inside my VM only 50 Percent is using by the VM, but the Host is filled up and no space left,

Confusing in this, why my host is filled, even my VM have the more space inside,

Now I have deleted so many files inside my VM and those are not reflecting in my Host mechine,

Please help me to resolve this.. and if possible please explain how this space cycle is working in Proxmox..

Thanks

Now I have deleted so many files inside my VM and those are not reflecting in my Host mechine,
This isn't my area of expertise, but it sounds like your virtual machine isn't telling the host that the space is free when you delete files. So the action of deleting files inside the VM isn't really going to help. :(

Which operating system does the VM have? I'd probably do some searching online (and in these forums) to try and find out how to get that operating system to return space to the host when deleting files in the VM.

It might need some kind of support for trim, but I'm truly not sure personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: sankarthota

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!