ProxMox Host Drive Not Bootable - Can VMs be recovered?

hhamama

Apr 23, 2023
Hi all, I recently had my host boot drive go into read only mode without warning. I was updating a couple VMs and containers, next thing I know my PiHole container stopped responding, the ProxMox web UI stopped responding and the system mounted the drive in read only mode. When I rebooted the system, the drive was no longer recognized as a boot disk. It showed up in my motherboard BIOS though. I took out the drive and connected it to my windows computer. DiskInternals Linux reader is able to see most of the files, I didn't do a deep dive to try and look at everything. I passed that same SSD onto a Ubuntu VM and it can see the partitions including the ProxMox LVM partition.

Even though this SSD is only 3 years old and I'm confident it hasn't reached half the rated write cycles, I can't trust it anymore. So now my plan is to reinstall ProxMox, this time with two SSDs setup in raidz1. Now my question is, is there any way I can recover my VMs and containers from that drive? I don't have anything on it that I can't rebuild, I'd just rather not have to rebuild.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!