Proxmox High CPU Usage

iwanbaguss

Jul 26, 2024
Hi,

I've been recently installed proxmox 6.2-4 in my machine and it was running smoothly about 6 months. Then suddenly, the CPU usage rises until 100% makes all of my VMs shutted down unexpectedly.
Screenshot 2024-07-26 220409.png

I have tried some solutions that I found in this forum and still nothing works for me.
Currently, I have upgraded to version 7.4-18 and the problems still remains. Even when all VMs are shutted down, the CPU usage is constantly around 50%.
1722035314864.png
I run top command in console but there's no process indicating high CPU usage.
1722035474097.png
My machine
- 48 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v4 @ 2.20GHz (2 Sockets)
- 144GB RAM
What is the solution for this?

Last edited:
Hi,
is the CPU usage also that high while you are checking with top? I remember a report with a crypto miner that would temporarily shut down itself when a user was logged in via CLI. I'd also carefully check all the logs from around the time the issue started happening or monitor network traffic to/from the machine.

If you really can't find anything suspicious, BIOS/microcode updates would be worth a try: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#sysadmin_firmware_cpu

Note that Proxmox VE 6.4 went end-of-life already September 2022, if you had installed Proxmox VE 6.2 half a year ago, you were almost surely vulnerable to certain (kernel) exploits.

Hi,
is the CPU usage also that high while you are checking with top? I remember a report with a crypto miner that would temporarily shut down itself when a user was logged in via CLI. I'd also carefully check all the logs from around the time the issue started happening or monitor network traffic to/from the machine.

If you really can't find anything suspicious, BIOS/microcode updates would be worth a try: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#sysadmin_firmware_cpu
thank you...
I figured out there is a suspicious service named pwnrig and I think it's the problem..
my mitigation plan is to reinstall the proxmox with the latest version...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!