Proxmox Hiding Public IP and Hiding admin page for router.

sdmyers1209

Aug 19, 2023
I would like to know if there is a basic way to hide the Public IP address that has been assigned to the VM and hide the public things in the network. I wanna allow a few friends and people I know on the server but I dont wanna get a letter from my ISP saying they downloaded something illegal and I dont really want them in my fathers UDM. (Unifi Dream Machine)

First, you shouldn't give people, you don't trust, administrative access.

There is basically no way to be 100% anonymous. Even when using a VPN to hide your public IP you can easily be tracked by cookies, online accounts, advertisement and so on.

If you don't want them to do bad stuff, create an isolated DMZ network, put your VMs there, set up firewall rules so from within this DMZ network all connection to the internet and and your LAN are dropped. Only port that then should be open is for a VPN server like wireguard, so they can remote into your DMZ network.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!