Proxmox Hardware... Is It Worth Trying?

t0ny84

Oct 9, 2021
Hi,
I am looking to put together a system using OpenMediaVault and a colleague has recently told me about Proxmox. I am keen to set up a system and have a play and was wondering if it would be worth trying with the system I will be using for my OpenMediaVault NAS (Sonarr\NGINX\Torrent in Docker?)?

Hardware:
Intel Core 2 Extreme Processor QX6700

Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 Mainboard
4GB DDR2 Ram (will most likely be upgraded to 8GB-16GB when I get around to it).
Quadro FX 3450 Video card
SATA SSD for Proxmox \ OpenMediaVault \ etc.
3-4 4TB SATA HDDs

If I was to go down the Proxmox path it would have the following setup on Proxmox (with any relevant additions to run these):
- OpenMediaVault
- NGINX
- Sonarr
- Torrent Client
- Plex\Kodi (Nice to have only if it wouldn't be too detrimental to the rest of the system).

Depending on how the above went running on the hardware I might delve into some further playing around but depending on where that lead me I would be then looking into newer hard ware.

Thanks for your thoughts\comments\criticisms in advance! :)

t0ny84

You can run that on Proxmox VE but you don't really need a hypervisor to do that. A bare metal debian with docker would do the job too. And 4GB RAM is really low for a hypervisor. I would get atleast 32GB RAM if you really want to have some fun with it. With just 4GB RAM you are basically limited to LXCs because VMs would need too much RAM.
My Emby VM for example got 4GB RAM and 8 cores, each Win10 VM 5GB RAM and 4 cores, most headless Linux VMs between 512MB and 1GB RAM, Linux VMs with desktop 1.5-2.5 GB RAM and so on. That easily adds up.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!